SAVE THE DATE for the 2017 S3 Food Symposium
May 10-12, 2017, The Westin Long Beach, 333 East Ocean Blvd., Long Beach, CA 90802
For Reservations, Book ONLINE HERE TODAY
Students - Win up to $500...Enter the Poster Session Today
Long Beach - Where S3 Meets the Sea, provides a great backdrop for an exciting and diverse selection of S3 related topics. Sustainable oceans, aquaculture, food access, and shared economy business models are all impacting Long Beach’s unique urban and coastal environment. Long Beach also provides a great setting to explore S3’s broader topics such as global impacts from high animal protein diets, the food waste and greenhouse gas relationship, and sustainable farming techniques. Attendees will experience field trips to an urban farm, the Aquarium of the Pacific, a Port of Long Beach tour and an ocean adventure to Catalina Sea Ranch’s mussel growing operation. Come to Long Beach and be inspired to meet the S3 challenges impacting our food systems in a rapidly changing world.
Who Should Attend: Environmental health professionals, public health professionals, political delegates, food and agriculture industry representatives, restauranteurs, students, and academia. Pending Continuing Education hours available for REHS, CHES, RN’s, and RD’s.
The S3 Symposium takes a big picture view of food and focuses on three key principles: safety, security, and sustainability (S3). As the world population grows, there is increasing pressure on our food supply. Feeding people in a way that is safe, healthy, accessible, and protects the planet is becoming a greater challenge. The S3 looks at issues that are critical for long term public and environmental health. The symposium is a collaborative forum made up of environmental health professionals, regulators, food producers, academia and others interested in enhancing their understanding of the links between agricultural production, food processing, food security, food safety, and environmental sustainability.
2017 Highlights - Charting a New Course in Food Systems and Environmental Health
Sustainable oceans, aquaculture, food access and shared economy business models are all current topics impacting our food system. The S3 food symposium will explore these topics and provide first hand experience on how their impacts are being addressed in an urban and coastal environment.
Educational and Innovative Field Trips
- Catalina Sea Ranch Tour - State of the art mussel growing operation six miles off the coast
- The Growing Experience - Seven acre urban farm tour with lunch made by one of Long Beach's best local chefs
- Port of Long Beach Tour - Expert guided boat tour of the port covering port history and goods movement
- AltaSea Facility Tour - 35 acre campus dedicated to ocean related science, business and education solutions
Aquarium of the Pacific Welcome and Dinner on Wednesday Night Featuring a Tour of the Acquarium Complete with Marching Penguins
Emerging Symposium Topics
- Seafarm to Fork Panel Discussion
- Can We Have Our Seafood and Sustainability Too?
- GMO Panel Discussion Is There a Way Forward?
- Food Security Innovative Approaches
- Sustainable Agriculture - A Farmer's Perspective
- Social Enterprise Panel Discussion
- Food Equity Panel Discussion
- Expanding Food Recovery and Access
- Global Food Initiative
- Food Safety and Climate Change
Up to 15 CEU's for REHS, CHES
Don't Miss the "Taste of Local Fare" and "Taste of Local Music" Event!